Knitting Fla

Hello - This is Flavio. I love knitting! I would love to try sharing bits of my life and my thoughts. Lots of love! :)

domingo, septiembre 17, 2006

80s Striped 3-Colour Jacket! First Phase completed...

Dear friends

I hope all is well with you. I have been a bit silent lately because I am planning my departure and I am so nervous! But I knitting like crazy, as I told you previously. I wanted to do something difficult before parting, because I am not sure if I'll have my knitting needles with me inmediately. It depends on what I can pack in my suitcase... Argh :) Now, back to the project. I found this wonderful pattern on Bernat's website. I never thought I could do one of these, when I first signed up to access the patterns... but hey, it looks like I can, now! I am improving! Yeahhhh ;)

This one is called "Lu Lu Bernat Child Jacket". You can easily find it on Google. It asks for some very precise yarn, but I used what I have got at home. The pattern gives 4 different sizes: 2/4/6/8. I chose size 4. This asked for 2 50g balls of main colour and 1 50g ball of each contrasting colour (all in all, 3 colours). I had this three colours, each in a big ball of 100g. I thought... wow, I can do this :)

The first problem came with the stripes. The pattern asked to carry colours up the work sides instead of cutting the yarn, but I haven't been able to do this, because the fabric pulled in too much or either was too loose! I'll have to practice this. So, I decided to cut the yarn each time. This means now I have to weave in everything... or to make strong knots and snip with scissors... hehehe ;) The "Stripe Pattern" says: 3 rows in MC, 3 in CC1 and 3 in CC2. I thought... if I want white to be my main colour, why not giving it one more row? I am not sure this is correct, but that's what I did. 4 rows in white, 3 rows in blue, 3 rows in red. The jacket has a garter edge to it which must be knitted with smaller needles. In fact the patterns says you need two sets of needles: 4.5mm and 5.5mm. Another problem! My 5.5mm were being used for the Ocean Ribbing Scarf, so... I used 6mm! Luckily the result is not too bad!

The back looks very nice. The front sides involved some shaping, at the same time as the stripe pattern. I had to calculate when to change colours AND when to increase or decrease... wow. It was exhausting! The problem came with the sleeves. I always forget to change to big needles after the garter edge, so ruining the beginning every time. Frustrating! Also, it was very exhausting to count rows for the increases. It said: increase at each end of needle on 5th row, then 3 times on every other 4th row, then 3 times on every other 6th row. Yeeeeeeeeeew! Did I have to count! I had to unravel a whole sleeve because I misread the pattern (at end of the needle) and only increased at the END of the needle, not at EACH end... gosh!

Well, here are the parts. I hope you like the result! It looks so 80s... I love it :) Now comes the difficult part. My book says I have to weave in ends and block BEFORE seaming. Good... but this is acrylic, and I have read I can't steam-block synthetic yarns! Does this mean I have to wet-block with a simple water-spray bottle? I have never done this before, so... I am a bit nervous. The last phase will be picking up stitches to do the collar and the front bands. It say I have to sew a zipper but I have no idea how to do that. Maybe I should do button holes instead? I am not sure... would love to hear your suggestions...

Love, Flavio


4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Hi, Flavio
This looks very much like a sweater I've been working on for a few months. Mine is hooded, done in a ribbed pattern and has 5 different colors for the stripes! I'm constantly changing colors because you only knit two rows of some of the colors before swithiching. My color "A" I'm able to carry because it alternates between the others, but the remaining colors I have to cut. All the weaving....ugh! I know what you mean about the increasing/decreasing while keeping the stripe pattern and all the counting (mine was every 4th row 10 times, every 6th row twice). I'm about half way done with the hood, then it's time to put it all together. The pattern doesn't indicate what kind of stitch to use for the seaming or whether or not to block before or after seaming. What stitch are you using? Wet blocking is not hard at all, so don't be nervous. I have to pick up stiches for a band, too and I'm really nervous about that, having never done it before. My pattern has buttonholes in the band. If you'd like I can give you the pattern directions. By the way, great job! The shaping looks wonderful!

18/9/06 14:37  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Wow! Thank you Rebecca :) For the weaving in... it lasted a whole day, but what I have done is a bit... uhm... not orthodox ;) I secured each thread of yarn inside of a few stitches then made a few knots and snipped with scissors. It's almost invisible and the result is very good! LOL!

I have to seam shoulders to front now but I don't know how to do it really, both edges are cast off edges! I'll have a look at my knitting books :)

I am so lazy about blocking... mmm... I am not even sure I have a proper place to do it... mmm.

I'll post all the progresses soon!

Love,
Flavio

18/9/06 14:53  
Blogger Jenean said...

Wow! Such vibrant colors! I can't wait to see the finished project. :)

20/9/06 07:34  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Thank you Jenean!

It was almost ready but I had to rip and do again TWICE the front bands, because doing the button holes (yo, k2tog) caused some tension and it made the colours pull in and it all looked awful. Now I am doing front bands with nothing on them: no button holes, no zipper, nothing. I am not sure what I'll do then.

Then I'll do the collar, and it'll be ready!

More soon :)
Love,
Fla

20/9/06 11:55  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home