Knitting Fla

Hello - This is Flavio. I love knitting! I would love to try sharing bits of my life and my thoughts. Lots of love! :)

domingo, abril 09, 2006

Ice Cream: Vanilla with Watermelon Hearts


Dear friends,

Well, I felt the need to use one of those lovely yarns I bought in Italy, so I thought I'd repeat a familiar pattern: the heart hat. I know, I should try something new, but I am a bit nervous lately so I sticked to what I know. I used vanilla as Main Colour (I know, it looks too white on the photos, but I swear it's like cream or ice cream!) - and hearts were done in watermelon as Contrasting Colour. Isn't it sweet?

This yarn is much "fatter" (chunkier?) than the one you saw in the blue/orange heart hat. I couldn't cast on 72 stitches, so I did it with 40 (it had to be a multiple of 8). It got quite high, in the end the hat looked very small. I can barely put it in my hand, so to speak. Well. Another doll hat for my collection... When will I be able to do a real hat for a real adult? Anyway, it's a nice exercise. What do you think of how it looks anyway?

Now... I really am unhappy with my seaming. I don't like how it looks. I am apparently doing something wrong. What's that? I wish somebody could help me with this. Please, leave your comments. I'll love to read them!

Lots of love,
Flavio

12 Comments:

Blogger k said...

These are so pretty!! I love the colors- they look like little confections.

I'm working on a project with baby booties and hats for newborns and your blog is definitely inspiring me!

I can't help with the seaming problem but are you checking your gauge with a test swatch before you start?

9/4/06 17:42  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Hello Kaylee!

You are so kind! I am having a look at your blog too. Would love to try doing booties. Is it difficult? Is there an easy pattern for booties I could start with?

No, I am not checking gauge with a test swatch... whoops! I'll have to search out there how do I do that.

***

Thank you Josie! Yes, it's the yellow ribbon I bought in Italy (10 meters, gotta use it, hehe).

Love,
Flavio :)

9/4/06 17:59  
Blogger k said...

Flavio:

This is the site I've been using for my baby bootie patterns- there's a lot to choose from, both Knitting and Crochet.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/baby.html#BOOTIES

I found it to be pretty easy. This is the pattern I used but I think I might look for another one that is a little more challenging and lets me use ribbon. http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-stay-on-booties.html

Here's a site to help you with the gauge. I've heard for things like scarves and dishcloths it may not be so important, but for anything fitted, it's worth looking into. It might save you some time, anyway.

http://www.fceasyknitting.com/tech/gauge.html

Good luck!

10/4/06 03:48  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Thank you Sandi and Kaylee! I definitely have to work on gauge and seaming :) They are my pending subjects at the moment :)

Thanks for visiting :)

Love
Flavio

10/4/06 08:31  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

Love your color selection! I just finished making my first pair of socks and had a similar problem with the binding. It's so tight around the opening it's hard to get on. I'm working on the second one, hopefully this one will be easier to put on.

10/4/06 13:39  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Hello!

I haven't tried socks yet, but I guess I'll have to, soon :) Thanks for the comments about the colours, and good luck with the second sock!

Love,
Flavio

10/4/06 17:17  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

I also had a difficult time when I first started seaming my hats but a couple of weeks ago I made a hat looked at knittinghelp.com and was able to learn how to do the matress stitch and you can't see the seam from the outside. It took me a couple of tries. I hope this helps.

Maylene

26/4/06 09:00  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Thank you Maylene! It's getting better now... I have practiced with my baby jacket ;)

Love,
Flavio

26/4/06 20:08  
Anonymous Anónimo said...

On your seaming, have you taken a look at the Kitchener Stitch? It is used a lot on socks, I just used it to close the seams on the handle of a French Market basket. Its a simple weaving technique, using a yarn needle, once you get the hang of it, you will like it, and the seam it produces is invisible.

1/5/06 01:48  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Hi Jane! I'll definitely look out for it :)

Thank you!
Flavio

1/5/06 11:31  
Blogger Karen Ferrero said...

Where did you get this pattern and how difficult is it? I've never knitted a hat before. Thank you!!! It's so cute, I would love to try it - Karen

7/9/06 21:08  
Blogger Flavio83 said...

Hi Karen!

I used this one: http://www.knitlist.com/97gift/babyhat.htm

It is soooo satisfying :)

I added a plus heart on the top though!

Love,
Flavio

7/9/06 21:58  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home